Brittany Silvera – Upper Elementary
1. Where are you from? I was born I New York and grew up there. I lived in Tampa for 10 years and also lived in Trinidad and Tobago for 10 years.
2. What year did you begin teaching? I began teaching in 1997.
3. Where did you go to school? I went to SUNY Cobleskill, The University of Tampa and the Center for Guided Montessori Studies.
4. What degrees/certifications do you hold? I have an Associates in Early Childhood, BS in Elementary Education and 6-12 year old Montessori Certification.
5. Describe a “top” teaching moment. I love to see the children feel so confident with a piece of material that they ask me if they can give other students lessons on that material.
6. What part of the Montessori curriculum do you find most exciting/effective? Math- math is a subject that many people fear because that do not understand it. Montessori Math is 100% hands on and it helps a child understand “how” to do a concept. When they understand “how” to do it the abstract becomes far easier to do.
7. Tell us about your family/hobbies. I am married and have 3 children. I love finding different activities to do with my children, cooking and reading with my children.
8. What country have you never visited but would like to. I would like to go to Fiji.